Popular Recipes

Sunday, September 9, 2012

"Appetizers"- Fried Green Tomatoes

It was few years back, in Ithaca New York, we went to a 'Tomato Festival'. As the name says...it was all about TOMATOES!! There were many different tomato products being sold and in one stall..were the Fried Green Tomatoes.Being a Food Network fan..I had already seen them on TV. I couldn't resist and I tried my first fried green tomato...at the Tomato festival...how cool is that! It had a crispy coating ....covering the ....tangy green tomato slice which was HOT straight from the fryer.
For my birthday couple days ago..I remembered that I wanted to try out this recipe on my own. The coating was the usual flour-egg- bread crumb coating. I wish I had tried the 'besan' coating like the Indian pakodas to try  a variation.Oh well...there is always a next time!!

Ingredients:
1 Large Green firm Tomato sliced into sturdy slices
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp black pepper
Rub the tomato slices with salt and pepper and keep aside for 10 mins. Let the water drain.

Coating:
Put the following in 3 separate bowls
3/4 cup all purpose flour+1/2tsp salt+1/2tsp red chili powder+1/4tsp black pepper
1 Egg beaten+1tbsp milk+1/2tsp salt+1/2tsp red chili powder+1/4tsp black pepper
3/4 cup bread crumbs+1/2tsp salt+1/2tsp red chili powder+ 1/4tsp black pepper
 Oil for frying

Method:
 1) Heat oil in a pan
2)Place the tomato slices rubbed with salt in the first bowl with flour.Let in coat the slice
3) Dip the slice in egg mixture
4) Then dip in bread crumb mixture.
5) Fry the slice till golden brown in hot oil
5) Serve HOT as is or along with what else....MY favorite....Maggie Hot and Sweet sauce!!





No comments:

Post a Comment