Popular Recipes

Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Pat a Cake"- Zebra Cake


Zebra Cake- A 'semi' successful attempt


















Lately, some of my friends have been baking 'eggless' and 'vegan' cakes. 'S' is making these amazingly professional looking 'Vegan Chocolate Cakes' and the other day 'R' baked 'Eggless Pineapple Pastries' which all loved at the Potluck. Since I am a non-vegetarian and a 'nervous' baker....I haven't tried my hand on eggless baking.After all the hard work of baking the cake, if it 'fails'....I get really disappointed.
Couple days ago I had seen this 'Zebra Cake' online and really wanted to try the 'technique' myself and I had this recipe for 'Eggless cake with Condensed milk' that I had to try out. I decided to do ' ek teer me do nishane' and bake the zebra cake with the eggless recipe.
The pattern came out really well, but the texture failed miserably:(

So I won't write the recipe here.I am going to try a different cake recipe soon.
But in short all you need is:

1) Cake batter made from 2-3 cups all purpose flour
2) Dark cocoa powder to mix in half the batter.

Divide the batter into 2 parts. Keep one 'white' and add dark cocoa powder to the other (dark cocoa is necessary to get good distinct patterns)

Assemble the cake with your favorite 'cake batter' recipe as follows-
1) 1 scoop white batter in center of the pan

2) Add one scoop 'chocolate' batter on top , in the center

3) Again 1 scoop white batter in the center
4) Repeat the process 'patiently' till all the batter is used up.

5) Bake at 350 F for 40 mins.Let it cool for 20 mins before cutting
6) Sprinkle with powdered sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment