Popular Recipes

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Treats for Diwali" - Ricotta Cheese Pedhas with Saffron /Kesar-Malai Pedhas



Have you ever wondered...how you crave certain things NOW...which you really did not care for much, when you were back in India?
It happens to me a lot! Many vegetables like (karela, tondali, paapdi,green bhopala etc) which actually my mom had to force us to eat when I was in India....but now..when I go to Indian grocery store...those are the vegetables I hunt for! Because we cannot find those in 'normal' American grocery stores here.Those are like 'delicacies' now! Similar goes for certain sweets like pedhas.Those were never in my 'most favorite' list in India.But now...I crave those sometimes and actually want to make those at home! I did not know, I could make those here at home.But for 'E's naming ceremony, one of friend made these and we were really surprised how delicious ..'melting in your mouth' they were!And the bigger surprise was..they were made from...RICOTTA CHEESE!
I thought that was really Cool...and immediately hunted for the recipe.Have been making these ever since for Diwali and everyone loves them..especially my 'M' who has a sweet tooth!


Ingredients:
425 gms Whole milk Ricotta cheese
1 cup Carnation milk powder
3/4th cup sugar
1/4th cup milk
1tsp ghee
1/4th tsp cardamom powder (Elaichi)
1 pinch saffron (kesar)
Pista and almond chips for decoration

Method:

1) In a non stick kadhai/skillet, melt 1tsp ghee. On medium to low flame add the ricotta cheese. Stir for about 15 mins. First the cheese will melt and then start getting thick again. This is similar to Khoya/ Khava.
Ricotta can burn easily. So, use non stick skillet and keep the flame low/medium!

2) When it starts leaving the sides of the kadhai, add milk (mixed with saffron/ kesar), sugar and milk powder. Stir all together. Cook till it starts leaving the sides of the kadhai. This will take about 15 mins or so. The mixture will become thin first and then thick.

3) Add the cardamom powder. Mix well. Take off the gas.

4) Let it cool. Then roll into small pedhas and decorate with pista and almond chips.

5) The above ingredients yield about 40-55 pedhas depending on how big or small you roll them.

6) Pedhas can stay in the refrigerator for about 1 week.

7) Enjoy!


Announcement:
I'm sending this recipe to Mansi's Sweet Celebration Contest being held at Fun and Food Cafe

3 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try these Pedhas. I can also so well identify that sentiment of yours.,...I never liked cabbage chi bhaaji, vangi bhaaji, but now I crave for it.
    I hope u did not mind me linking your blog in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No Anjali..did not mind that at all! Infact felt good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks perfect for the festival season! thanks for sharing this Deepti:)

    ReplyDelete