Popular Recipes

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

'Treats For Diwali'- Alu Bhujia Sev/Potato Sev


Making Sev wasn't on my 'To Do' list for Diwali.But in the enthusiasm yesterday,I decided to give it a try. I wanted to make 'Aloo Bhujia Sev' similar to 'Haldirams'. This one came pretty close, but not quite the same. When I was hunting for recipes, I did not exactly find what I was looking for. So I decided to try it with my 'instincts'.The experiment was successful and we had this crispy,crunchy,spicy sev!
Recipe for Aloo Bhujia Sev:
Ingredients:
1&1/2 cups Gram flour
1tbsp Rice flour
1 cup boiled mashed potato
1tsp garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4tsp black pepper
1/2tsp chili powder
1/4tsp owa/ajwain seeds
2 pinch asafoetida
1/4tsp Chat masala+ 1/2 tsp for sprinkling on top
salt to taste
4tsp hot oil+ oil for frying
Method:
1) Mix, gram flour,rice flour,mashed potato,chili powder,turmeric,owa,1/4tsp chat masala,black pepper,garlic paste,asafoetida,salt and 4tsp hot oil.Knead into a soft dough with warm water.
The dough is very sticky.Oil hands to make it manageable.
2) Oil the 'Sev press' and use the 'thin' sev sieve/jaali.
3) Heat some oil in a deep-pan on low flame.
4) Press the sev dough directly into hot oil.Fry on low flame.This is necessary to crisp the sev.
5) When the dough crisps up, drain well and remove from oil.Sev burns easily and continues to cook a little when a take it outside.So remove promptly.
6) Sprinkle with chat masala as soon as the sev comes out from oil.
7) Drain on paper towel
8)Store in airtight container.
Tip:
I was talking to my friend 'V' few minutes ago,and she said they add mint juice and green chillies to Haldiram's Alu Bhujia. Oh Well....may be next year I will make exact replica of 'Haldiram's Aloo Bhujia"!

No comments:

Post a Comment